At the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum
We have a small team of experienced volunteer researchers who are able to carry out archival research enquiries. Our researchers combine information held within our own archive, and various other sources, to produce the most thorough picture of an individual.
Some of our researchers have published a number of books on military history (specifically WWI). Having this expertise means that they can analyse and interpret any data they find in the most effective way.
How can we help?
We hold many unique records within our archive, such as:
- Officer’s records (which can be combined with Officer’s data held in our archive)
- Enlistment records
- Photographs (Predominantly WWI)
- Regimental journals (such as ‘The Sphinx and the Dragon’, and ‘The Back Badge’)
- Officer embarkation rolls
- WWI database (containing over 40,000 records of individual soldiers)
Our researchers will take time to find as much information as they can for you, using and interpreting the unique resources we hold in our archive, and information held elsewhere. As we are a registered charity we are dependant upon donations to keep our Museum open, and so we ask for a payment of £25 per soldier, per enquiry. In some circumstances we may only be able to provide only background information, but the donation is non-refundable as every enquiry takes time and resource to carry out.
How to submit an enquiry
- Search for the soldier within our online Soldier Search database (click here)
- Pay the £25 research fee
- After making payment you’ll receive a confirmation email. Reply to this email with any information you already have about this person (some information may seem unhelpful but might really help us with the enquiry), so please do tell us everything you already know.
- Our researchers will then carry out your enquiry and be in touch with you in due course. Please allow up to 8 weeks for your enquiry to be processed.
Please note that the database is predominantly composed of soldiers who served in WW1. If the soldier you are interested in is not in the database please email firstname.lastname@example.org with everything you currently know about the soldier and we will get back to you.
WWI Drop-in sessions
We now offer ‘drop-in Tuesdays’, which allows members of the public to book an hour-long appointment with a researcher to discuss any research relating to the WWI. Please note that appointments must be made in advance if you would like to meet with one of our volunteer researchers in person. To make an appointment please email email@example.com. The time slots available are 10am-11am, 1pm-2pm, and 3pm-4pm.
Lots of regimental memorabilia and items for all the family in our on line museum shop. There are some great offers as well!
View some of the many items in our museum collection
Museum Soldiers of the Month
Go to the Soldiers of the Month on the Exhibition Page to find out about some of the new exhibitions this month.
County Regiments of Today
Learn more about Today’s County Regiments Visit the museum to see more about their exploits for their county and country.
Friends of the Museum
Sign up as a Friend of the Museum and receive details of interesting information and events on military topics. Click here. Joining details are at the bottom of the page. See past Friends Newsletters here.